Monday, August 29, 2011

I'm At It Again

So these days I am finding myself sitting in the car rider line and in various doctor's offices and therapy clinics twiddling my thumbs.  I made up a couple kits filled with hexagons to keep nearby and they're multiplying!  I'm really enjoying making these & wondering why I ever stopped.  The ones below will be appliqued onto purses or bags or something.  I've started a new secret project of hexagons that I'll finish sometime this fall.  After that, I am pretty sure I'm going to start on a quilt of 1 inch hexies with no repeats.  Won't that be a fun project!?!  Will do them at random first in rows (like the last picture below) and then stitch them together.  All by hand.  And I'm not in a hurry to finish it.  Might take me years, but that's ok.  1 inch ones are a good size for a quilt, I think.  To me, the 2 inch ones are a little big.  Yes, they'd go faster, but I like the look of the small hexagons because they're dainty.  I'm always drawn to geometric designs.  These it so nicely into that category.  Making hexagons used to take me a LOT longer but now I'm getting quicker and more efficient.  I use applique pins (they're tiny and sharp) to hold the paper in place until I get a couple corners basted.  I like this method more than glue sticks or other techniques.  Are you guys making hexies these days?  If not, think about joining me!  Let's get inspired!

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Reproduction Hexes

I have been using up my 30s reproduction prints with these flower hexes this fall. I don't feel so guilty watching TV when I have these to work on. Sadly, they've been set aside until after the holidays when I'll have more time. I'm not sure how large I'll end up making this quilt but I'm having fun putting it together.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Scrappy Hoop Swap

I just finished this hoop for the Scrappy Hoop Swap on Flickr. It was a pretty quick and easy project to put together and an easy way to use up some of my favorite scraps!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Practicing with my new foot

I've got a bunch of hexagons basted, but lack the time and patience currently to stitch them together.

I have a new foot that helps me to do lots of curvy stuff, so I'm practicing with it.

Decided to try stitching hexies down with it. I didn't applique them on... didn't even sew them together. I just took the paper out, snipped the basting stitches, ironed each of them well, shot them with some spray adhesive and went to town.

I'm not too disappointed with it. I think next time, I'll use my walking foot or maybe a zipper foot to outline them (stitch just inside the hexagon to sew them down individually) one at a time.

Mostly this little experiment was to play around with my new foot.

I got the #55 leather roller foot from Jamie at Bernina. Love it.

I realized tonight after doing a bit of online research that I should've moved the needle over so that it sews RIGHT next to the wheel. Will try again tonight that way.

Might even play around with some hexies, too!

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Its DONE!!!

I finished my hexie quilt top!! Three hundred thirty two hexagons all sewn to each other by hand... and I'm finished! Woo hoo!!!

I do have a tip to share - when I had to take the papers out of the perimeter hexies, I took a glue stick, and glued the edges in their folded positions. This worked great for me, as they're holding tight, and I'm confident that they'll stay put until its done being quilted!

Monday, September 27, 2010

Hexagon Halloween

I haven't been able to get to my sewing machine all week. Yikes! Last night, I decided I needed to accomplish something so I pulled out my hexagon templates.
I made these from a Haunted Mansion charm pack and hand appliqued the flower onto a kitchen towel I picked up at Target. Quick and easy holiday project!

Friday, September 17, 2010

Andrea's 1 Inch Hexagons (12 Inch Block) for the KC Scrappy Bee

Here's a picture of Andrea's block that I made for her math quilt. I stay-stitched 1/8 inch around the edges so that it wouldn't fall apart and I removed all of the paper & basting stitches. I love the way this one turned out.